by Debby Verba, Valencia Librarian
• 1 cup of canned Garbanzo beans
• 1 cup of olive oil
• 1 cup of rice, washed
• 3 bunches of parsley, washed and chopped
• 1 bunch of mint, chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
• 1 can of whole tomatoes, chopped
• 2 cups of water
• Grape leaves
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Dash of cayenne pepper
• Lemon juice to taste
1. Mix all ingredients together, excluding tomatoes, grape leaves, water and lemon juice.
2. Roll out grape leaves and stuff with little of the mixture, folding in ends of leaves before final roll.
3. Arrange grape leaves side by side and on top of each other in covered kettle, adding any leftover juices from the stuffing mixture.
4. Pour water, lemon juice (to taste) and tomatoes over top of grape leaves.
5. Steam over low flame until done.